Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Best Power Pop song ever?

The Flamin' Groovies - "Shake Some Action" b/w "Teenage Confidential" is, in my opinion, pretty much the greatest Power Pop 45 ever released. Now, I have the original British pressing 7" single. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's a bit different from the version on the LP? I don't own the original LP, but the version of the song you can usually download online (and the version that's been on various comps) is different. This one seems a bit slower and more deliberate, less frantic. In any case, I've put this song on more mixes than I can count (definitely on every mix I've ever made for any girl, ever....which is a lot), and it's always a crowd-pleaser. I like this single version a lot. The b-side, Teenage Confidential is a slower, more obviously 60's-style ballad-type tune that pales in comparison to the A-side, but on any other 45 would be a very solid track. Plenty of info about the Groovies' history is available online (and is a rather interesting read). Crucial band, crucial tune. Definitely get this below:

No comments:

Post a Comment