Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cooooool Rub-a-Dub Reggae

Scion Sashay Success - "If A Minstrel" b/w "Version" is among my favorite mid-80's rub-a-dub reggae records. Now, let it be known, this is actually one side of a 12" single I have by Scion Success. The other side is not as sweet a song, but I'll up it soon anyway. This side of the record is just, in my mind, about the best early-mid 80's NYC Reggae production on the awesome Jah Life label. I was hipped to Scion Success by a fellow selector from another sound system who happened to stop by my old reggae night in New Brunswick. He told me to snatch up anything I could by this NY-based singer. The next day I found this 12" for 2 bucks, took it home and dropped a needle on it, and was knocked out. Success' voice is syrupy-sweet, and the melody is just perfect for the riddim-all over it like a satin blanket. This guy was doing the Bitty McLean thing lyrically and melodically way before Bitty McLean was around. He is probably most well-known for the sound-clash mainstay "Dun Dead Already", which every soundsystem must have to even enter a clash. But this is a fantastic lovers' style tune that I can listen to over and over and not get tired of. One of my all-time favorites. Dig it:


No comments:

Post a Comment