Monday, June 1, 2009

Rare Early Reggae/Soul

Carlton Moore - "Soul Jamaica" b/w "Wedding Day" is an American-pressed early reggae 45 on Tobin Records. I could find NO information on Mr. Moore's career or even this record, except that I've seen the JA pressing on Moodisc Records, so I know it's legit. And you'll know it's legit when you hear it. "Soul Jamaica" is a basic old reggae tune with the bubbling organ and horn accents, about Jamaica being funky and having soul, which I'm all about! It won't be found on any old reggae comps that I've seen, and I've seen a LOT of them. I'm into it. "Wedding Day" is the more interesting tune to me. I LOVE Jamaican musicians from the 60's and 70's playing American-style soul and blues (which is really where Jamaican popular music like Ska came from anyway). This tune is organ-heavy, and not reggae at all. It IS, however, Jamaican in style and presentation. It's a touching little wedding song, with Moore proving why he wasn't a big hit in his day: his falsetto and higher register vocals don't approach the quality of Pat Kelly or Slim Smith. Still an awesome download and well worth a listen. Download below:

No comments:

Post a Comment