Monday, August 3, 2009

Soulshake (electric sitar, maaaaan)

Peggy Scott and JoJo Benson - "Soulshake" b/w "We Were Made for Each Other" is everything an awesome late 60's song should be. It rocks, it rolls, it's got tons of soul, electric sitar, pedal steel guitar, and a simple, steady ass-shaking beat. (Sorry for the amount of commas in that sentence.) SSS International put out some awesome soul, pop, and rock back in the day, and this pairing is no exception. I have no info about this vocal duo or record that you can't find on Funky 16 Corners or anywhere else on the internet, so I won't pretend to be an expert on them. I can tell you this song has moved some butts when I've spun it at parties and bars, and that's all I ask of my records. It had me from the opening harmonized "DOOOOOOO...DO DO DOOOOOO" and electric sitar riffage. "We Were Made for Each Other" is pretty much your standard b-side on a rollicking soul stomper.....slow, sweet, and not nearly as memorable as the A-side. The lyrics aren't earth-shattering, but the male/female vocal pairing is convincing and really soulful. The electric sitar makes its return on this b-side, which is always a plus. Matter of fact, it's featured more heavily on this cut. Worth a listen for the sitar riffs alone. Download below:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tnmx1zez5gn

No comments:

Post a Comment