Saturday, April 11, 2009

Soulful Reggae/Rocksteady

Johnny Nash makes the blog again with a 45 I am positive I have a double of somewhere. His take on Sam Cooke's "Cupid" b/w "Hold Me Tight." This is straight up Jamaican rocksteady, on par with early Alton Ellis and Delroy Wilson. It was again recorded in Jamaica, with some American production touches, like some gentle strings in the background. Johnny Nash's voice is super smooth, and I can't imagine what would've happened if this stuff had been a bigger hit in America like he wanted it to. "Cupid" is among my favorite Sam Cooke songs, and this version is better than most covers I've heard. I highly recommend you download this and hunt for a copy in the dollar or 50 cent bin at your local record store, because I've found 2 copies in those very places. Download these tunes below:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzz5yjzzlbd

No comments:

Post a Comment